T he Anderson-Mattson Funeral Home has jointly served the Mahnomen community since November of 2005.
The tradition of funeral service in Mahnomen began in May of 1955, when Kenny and Marilynn Mattson purchased the Gearhart-Ruebke Funeral Home on East Madison Avenue. In 1959, Kenny and Marilynn purchased the Snustad Funeral Home in Winger, Minnesota, from Olaf Snutstad, and established a branch chapel of Mattson Funeral Home. In 1981, their son John Mattson, a licensed funeral director, returned to the Mahnomen community to assist his family with the operation of the funeral home. After Kenny’s death in 1987, John and his wife Edie purchased the business from John’s mother, Marilynn. The Mattson’s sold the funeral home to Tom Vertin, in 1997, with John and Edie Mattson continuing to be very active in the management of the firm. In 2000, funeral director, Paige Ennen joined the staff of the Mattson Funeral Home, at which time a new building was also constructed on North Main Street in Mahnomen. In 2001, John and Edie Mattson relocated from Mahnomen to be closer to family.
In the fall of 2000, Tim and Denise Anderson, owners of the Anderson Funeral Home in Twin Valley, MN, opened the Anderson Funeral Home in Mahnomen. The Anderson Funeral Home was operated solely by Tim, as a licensed funeral director, and Denise as office manager. In 2003, Anderson’s daughter, Kelly Woltjer, who is a licensed funeral director, joined her family in the funeral home. Over the next three years, as their business continued to grow, Tim and Denise completed an extensive addition to the building.
In November of 2005, the Mattson Funeral Home and the Anderson Funeral Home became the Anderson-Mattson Funeral Home, operating out of the North Main Street facility. Today, the Mahnomen community is diligently served by Tim & Denise Anderson, Paige Ennen and Kelly Woltjer. Working together they are able to continue a commitment of caring, professional service to the area…a caring tradition they are proud to continue.